Saturday, October 07, 2006

Intimidated

There's another discussion on AlwaysLearning, and it's going so fast, I cannot keep up with everybody. Someone named Dede is writing about feeling heartbroken for her son's videogame play. I can relate to her but am not in agreement. I could post about my experiences, but that group is big, I don't feel safe. This problem about not wanting to post has been a bigger issue lately, I had a realization at the Live and Learn Conference in Sept: I feel anxious and insecure, and I analyze a lot. Well I decided to change. I need to change.

I don't exactly know how this change will happen, but I am leaving behind a lot of fear, desire to control, self criticism and self loathing. Why cannot these feelings just disappear? They seem part of my most basic sense of self, it's extremely difficult to fight myself, I surrender.

About the Video Game discussion, I wonder about the age of this boy, it's not mentioned. I imagine Dede has a lot of expectations and control of her life, and her son is at an age where he is gaining a lot of skills, my guess is he's 4-6yrs old.

Our experience with video games is mottled, I witness incredible learning and skill develpment as well as exhaustion, irratibility, frustration and intensity issues. We grapple with video games and balance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home